Infinity Scarf (Tutorial)

Found some new treasures while fabric shopping all over Santa Monica with my coworker last weekend – check it out!

The Fruits of a Successful Fabric Shopping Venture!

I was having major commitment issues on what to make with the cherry blossom branch fabric on the top, but it was so pretty I couldn’t resist buying it.  The striped material was the perfect color and weight for an infinity scarf, and I just loved the vintage-y look of the navy blue floral fabric.  I’m aiming to make my first dress out of it.  EEK!

Here’s a quick tutorial on how I made the infinity scarf:

1) Cut a yard of fabric in half and sew the narrow ends together.  You should end up with one piece of fabric two yards in length, if you like a longer infinity scarf like I do.

2) Fold the material in half length-wise with right sides facing each other (wrong sides facing outward), and pin the edges together.  Sew the edges together the entire length of the scarf, giving yourself a 1/2″ seam allowance and removing the pins as you sew.  You’ll basically be making one long tube.

Making a Giant Fabric Tube

3) Pin your short seam (the open ends of the scarf) closed.  Sew this seam making sure to leave a 3″ opening to pull the  scarf through.  Clip your corners so that you can have nice clean points for your scarf.

4) Gently pull the scarf through. Once right side out, simply hand stitch your opening closed using an invisible stitch. Viola!

Infinity Scarf (and beyond!)

Robot Appliqué Pillowcases – Part 3

It’s been nearly a year since I made this set of Robot Appliqué Pillowcases (see Part 1 and Part 2), and I had neglected to take photos of the finished product until just last weekend.  Continuing where I left off on the pseudo-tutorial of Part 2, the last thing I had to do was sew on the black-button eyes and then sew the pillowcases shut.  I’m not sure why the purple is coming out blue in a lot of these photos, but I think it has to do with the lighting.

Sewing the eyes on...

I picked up a snazzy “Handmade By:” stamp from JoAnn’s.  I didn’t have an embossing stamp pad (need to pick up one of those), but I had a purple embossing marker.  I made a couple of tags by coloring the stamp with the marker, stamping a piece of a manila folder, and then throwing some clear embossing powder on it.

Cool stamp + emboss kit

 

And finally done!

Finished Product

 

New Toy – Dressform

I haven’t had time for any new projects as of late, as I (along with the rest of my team at work) have sold my soul to my job for the time being.  However, I wanted to share a new toy that I recently acquired – a gently-used dressform!

Mannequin
My new toy!

I’m super excited for a number of reasons: 1) I won’t be making anymore accidental she-male lion costumes since I have a mannequin to model off of now, 2) the dressform was FREE, and 3) I got it was through someone who read my blog!  Thanks again, Monica and Candace!  Lots of great projects to come, I’m sure!

Utility Apron

Some photos from a utility apron I made for Jamie to give as a Christmas gift to a fellow elementary school teacher… I like to call it my first “paid gig”.  After countless arguments about how much to charge for my labor (I insisted on $1 an hour and Jamie insisted that I don’t work in a sweatshop and we aren’t in China), I humbly accepted payment in the form of a box of fancy caramels and a nifty purse hook.  Thanks, Jamie!!

I think this was my favorite part of the apron – the holster for the scissors!  Stick ’em up!

Scissors Holster
Scissors Holster

And here is the completed project!  There are lots of pockets for all the things teachers carry around in the classroom… like pens and rulers and markers and… candy…?

Teacher's Apron
Teacher's Apron

More updates to come soon!

Baby Gift Set

It never fails to surprise me when my peers get hitched and then have kids – I guess I’m just getting to that age where everyone is really settling down.  I think I’ve gotten over the once-frightening idea of marriage, but children are a whole new ball park.  I’m sure the fear of bearing a child stems in part from seeing fellow females go through the various stages of pregnancy – the complaints about morning sickness, the high-running emotions, the uteral kicks, and (dare I say, in some cases) the cankles.  Then, there’s the whole birthing process which I won’t delve into.  We haven’t even gotten to “poo’splosions” (as one coworker so fondly calls it) and the overarching daunting task of raising a child.  And once you’ve made it that far, you are still doomed to be that person at Target whose child is screaming at the top of their lungs over not getting that one toy that they won’t even remember the next day at LEAST once in your parenting career.  However, in the end, I’m sure it’s worth it when your  kid is starring in videos like this.
Back to the subject of this post.  Playing on the theme of “B” for “Baby”, I made a Bib, Blankie, and set of Booties and threw it all in a drawstring Bag.  I got the instructions and pattern for all parts of the project from One Yard Wonders.  I’ll keep this post short, so here you go!

The Before

The booties, by far, were toughest item I’ve had to sew in my not-so-long sewing career.  Here’s “The After”:

Baby Gift Set

Bib, Blankie, Booties, and Bag

Click on the thumbnails in the gallery to see the rest!