Archive | costume RSS feed for this section

(Not) Simple (Enough) A-Line Skirt

6 Nov

One of my Sho-Yu teammates and long time friends (Flo) asked me to make a mouseketeer skirt for her Halloween costume a couple of weeks ago.  I complied with the disclaimer that I’ve never made a skirt before so I couldn’t guarantee how much it would look like one.  Afraid of biting off more than I could chew, I simplified the pleated skirt to an A-line style using slightly stretchy material to give me some extra room for error.  She sent me her measurements and I followed a tutorial, but somehow the first pass at the skirt came out lopsided.  I like to say it’s that asymmetrical style to make myself feel better.  Apparently, the simple A-line skirt how-to I chose ended up being not simple enough after all.

Luckily, Flo and I made plans to meet-up for her to try it on so I could make adjustments in time for the big day.  As you can see, the skirt still wasn’t perfect but it was salvaged.  Thanks for being my guinea pig, Flo!

Mousketeer Halloween Costume - Front

I have plans to actually try making a pleated skirt some day out of the cherry blossom fabric I bought a couple weeks ago.  Stay tuned!

Advertisements

Lion(ess) Costume

29 Oct

In light of it being Halloween weekend, I thought I’d dedicate this one to the lion costume I made Charles in 2008.  I bought my first sewing machine for my first real sewing project.  Aside from making small throw pillows as Christmas gifts in high school and a couple of pillowcases on my grandmother’s old school sewing machine, I had no experience.  I knew nothing about sewing patterns, tailoring, or just about anything that would have come in handy at the time.  I literally just went to Jo-Ann’s and bought enough lion-esque fabrics to cover him up.

The "Before"

I started by holding up one side of the tan fabric to his back and traced an outline around him on the wrong side of the cloth.  Charles made one thing really clear before I got started – the costume needed to keep him cool.  I cut and stitched together an extremely baggy body suit and purposely made the legs short so that he could get some extra air circulation.  After a few more episodes of repeatedly having him try on the suit, pinning it, and taking in like the n00b seamstress I was (and still am), here is what I came up with:

Sleeves to come later...

I stitched velcro closures on the back, and then sewed the arms on.  I thought I was done with the body suit, but at the next fitting, I noticed some unusual and awkward flaps in the crotch area.  I had turned Charles from a lion to a (quite anatomically correct) lioness:

Travesty.

Yikes.   After a few nips and tucks, he looked a bit more like a Ken doll and less like a woman.  I gave the tail some life by stuffing it with polyester pillow form and made the paws out of the same cloth, black felt paper, and some faux fur.  The paws also had a velcro closure.  I didn’t want to create a full on lion ‘do because it definitely would have caused overheating issues, so I made a headband-mane by rolling the faux fur into a tube and sewing it closed.  Then I sewed ears onto the sides with ties at the ends.

Here is the outcome from my very first apparel-making experience:

Finished Product

I included some more photos in the gallery – click on a thumbnail to view it larger.